Above: Lenette on the K1 whole body vibration machine and Lenette on a rebounder. Both are fun but rebounding cannot give a person all the benefits of vibration exercise
Sometimes we're asked about the difference between the K1 whole body vibration machine and rebounding. They're both great for lymphatic drainage, so why get a vibration exerciser?
I love both, and have both so I think I'll be able to provide a good answer to this question. Rebounding is awesome for lymphatic draining, blood circulation and oxygenation, and assisting with muscle tone for sure. I still use my rebounder for cardio and lymphatic drainage (mostly for 30-40 minutes of cardio when it's raining or snowing out).
But what I don't think a lot of people understand about whole body vibration are the other things it can do that rebounding could never do.
1) Whole Body Vibration (WBV) builds bone density. It’s great for people with osteoporosis or osteopenia or for those who have a history of it in their family (my mom had osteoporosis and was taking prescribed meds for it). It is weight-bearing exercise to the extreme. You are basically fooling your muscles into thinking you’re jumping or running (depending on the type of vibration machine). The increased load and motion causes the bone osteoblasts to register the force and build and you’re in essence asking your bones to grow a lot more than you would if walking or rebounding. This is why the space program got involved when WBV first came out – to help maintain astronauts bone and muscle mass while in space for extended periods of time.
2) WBV affects your hormones in powerful and positive ways. Research by the biomedical and exercise scientist, Carmelo Bosco, has also shown vibration exercise to increase serotonin levels, increase HGH levels by 361%, and decrease cortisol by 30%. This is significant and can have a dramatic impact on your appetite, addictions and unhealthy cravings, sleep patterns, stress levels, and belly-fat-holding areas. It also was shown to increase levels of testosterone up to 7%. Testosterone’s key roles in health and well-being include increased energy, increased production of red blood cells, protection against osteoporosis, and enhanced libido. It also allows fast-twitch muscle fibers to fully recover at a quicker rate, shortening recovery time.
3) In terms of building muscle, conventional rotational exercise engages around 45% of muscle fibers. And you’re only really working out the main muscles such as your quads, hamstrings, biceps, lats, etc. You’re not getting to the other 55% of muscles very effectively at all. Whole body vibration is aptly named whole body vibration because it causes even the involuntary muscles in your body to contraction and has been shown to engage approximately 97% of your muscle fibers. Add that to the fact the WBV causes those muscle fibers to contract over 1500 times per minute and there’s no comparison to rebounding (you might rebounding up to 60 times per minute max?) Note: incontinence is helped with vibration exercise as well because it works out those involuntary muscles down there much more effectively than Kegal exercises.
4) WBV is extremely effective for cellulite reduction. WAY better than rebounding in fact (actually, this is why I bought myself a Needak 2 years ago) but it didn’t help much. The main problem with most cellulite treatments is that they focus on only one of the reasons for having it. Deep tissue massage only helps shift the fat cells not empty them, exercise will empty them but not shift them. Increasing your lymphatic drainage helps with fluid retention but not burning fat. With a combination of these things (whole body vibration) IT CAN GO!
5). Whole body vibration is excellent for people with neuropathy or neuromuscular disorders. 10 minutes in contact with the vibration plate sends approximately 30,000 separate electrical signals to the brain. You're training the nerves and getting feeling to them hundreds of times more efficiently than other types of physical therapy. This is what a lot of doctors use the Noblerex for too.
6) Whole body vibration can be used for other types of therapy as well besides osteoporosis and neuromuscular retraining. Not everyone (obese people, paraplegics, people with MS etc) can rebound for 10 minute let alone rebound at all. Whole body vibration machines offer these people and many others the opportunity to retrain their muscles and nervous system back to health.
For those looking to gain more balance, flexibility, lose weight, build muscle in less time and with less risk of micro-tears or falling or being far from home; or for people concerned about osteoporosis, MS, neuropathy, circulation, fat loss and cellulite loss, this is far better than rebounding. Rebounding can’t even compare in our opinion.
For more information on Whole Body Vibration, the Noblerex K1 Platinum, and what to look for in a whole body vibration machine, please visit our new site, check out this page below, and/or give us a call anytime. 800-518-4272 – we'd love to help!
(www.thenoblerexk1.com is our new site )